Lucid Now, Looney Later, is my peer-to-peer blog support group for depression and bipolar disorder,“Our mission, our prize isn't riches, nor trophy and not even happiness,our prize is stability, mental balance, and to be able to live with dignity and love for our-selfs.” -Chato b. stewart

Saturday, July 17, 2010

I Can’t Be Depressed… I’m a Guy! | Psych Central

Over the last few years, more and more men have been strong enough to stand up and declare that they suffer with depression. That has led to some really nice coverage on the subject. I don’t want to write about that. They have all the research and studies to back it up, as well as the stories of many high-profile men from movies, TV, and sports. I get it. They are depressed. Yet, they also have the best available services at their fingertips! I’m just a guy, no huge bankroll or million-dollar contracts. Rather, a guy with mounting bills, a family to feed, and a hopeless pit in my soul tearing me apart.

I can’t be depressed… I’m a GUY! I don’t have the time to deal with this mood. So, I swallow the pain and move on. I avoid the help that is out there because I don’t want my other guy friends to think I’m weak. Yes, weak. The stigma of how others think of mental illness keeps me away from talking to anyone about my unrelenting feelings of despair. So I buck up and tell myself I can take this… I’m a GUY. We don’t complain about this type of thing!

I Can’t Be Depressed… I’m a Guy! | Psych Central

No comments: